Sunday, August 1, 2010

Dear John letter entry:

Hey, Baby,

Just wanted to let you know that I've found someone new. I never meant to hurt you, but I just can't go on living with nothing but a ghost to hold me at night. I know you'll understand. I still hope to see your warm eyes and wide smile greet me, when my end comes.

You told me the week before your death that if it came to it, you didn't want long term life support. When you stopped breathing, I gave permission for them to intubate and breathe for you, to give you a chance to recover. Your blood pressure began to fall. I gave them my permission to administer drugs to try and elevate it, all in hopes that your lungs would heal.

By the time the blood pressure meds stopped working, your brainwaves had ceased. I told them to remove the tube.

You left me standing there, in a puddle of my own tears, shattered. Now he's come along to pick up the pieces. I still love you, I always will. But I love him, too. Try and be happy for me. I know it's hard, but I need your blessing.

Love,

Me

1 comment:

  1. WOW, this really hits home, I lost my first wife to cancer. When she left me my life was shattered but time has a way of mending broken hearts. I suppose that if I had written her a letter it would have been much the same as this. BDC

    ReplyDelete

MUSIC